Thursday, July 06, 2006

Some More Thoughts Worth Sharing (On Love for Country)

Attached is a copy of an email sent by a concerned citizen to a journalist (Sometime in August 2005). I do think it is worth sharing, for whatever it is worth:

quote:

Greetings! I have read your thought provoking article at the Philipine Star today and I would like to solicit your kind help in effecting changes in our society. I am not sure in which stratification of the society I fit, whether I am a middle class or a low class person. Nevertheless, I am deeply concerned with the way things have unfolded in our country that I was compelled to send you an email. This will be the first time that I am doing so.

As you may well know, the media plays a huge role in shaping perceptions and mindset among the citizenry. Moreover, perceptions could have very tragic and expensive consequences as what you have related in your article when the stockmarket falls or when investor confidence continously erodes.

I was really hoping that journalists and media practitioners (or perhaps Christians and all religious denominations) would bind forces together and write and talk about issues other than what is sensational or which topic is currently "hot". I am not saying that we turn a blind eye to the anomalies and wrongdoings around us. Fault finding and finger pointing seems to be the favorite past time of people today. Yet, I would prefer that we also consider to write about themes on: 1) love of nation/patriotism 2) bayanihan/working together 3) how even the lowliest filipino can contribute to the country's well being 4) Others topics that will give the message that there is still hope for the filipinos as long as we unite and we do not forget our love for our country. We are facing dark times and only if we unite can we hurdle the challenges.

I am sure that you know the famous Keneddy saying (ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country). I am sure that you will ask why bother if we have all of these things that we should be ashamed about which we Filipinos refer to as: "only in the Philippines". However, lest we forget, GMA is not the Philippines, the corrupt practices of politicans and the corrupt system in the Philippines is not the Philippines, etc. I hope you catch my drift.

I am not sure if you have observed this phenomenon as written in an article I read at the Inquirer but some Filipinos do not want to be Filipinos anymore. They want to be Canadians or Americans, or Australians, etc. It is just so sad because these are the very same Filipinos needed by the Philippines. These are nurses, doctors, entrepreneurs, lawyers, accountants, etc.
If someone will ask me how I will show my love for the country, here are some ways that immediately come to mind (there was an article written by Mr. Farolan about this in the Inquirer). Please feel free to add to the list.

1) Pay my taxes
2) Ask for a receipt on all my purchases
3) Buy Filipino
4) Dispose of my garbage properly
5) On a traffic jam, I will not block the intersections so that the other motorists in the other lanes may still pass through.
6) Obey traffic rules and be considerate to pedestrians
7) Live frugally
8) Find Christ's image in everyone

I am not sure how you will react to this suggestion. I am more uncertain if Filipinos still think of this at the moment when we should be thinking of how we could feed our families thrice a day. One of my bosses advised me that Christ will really bless those who are hungry or are poor in spirit because if they are still able to think of Him notwithstanding the hunger, suffering, persecution, etc., they are really worthy of being blessed.

I was just thinking that since your article provoked some thoughts in me, I would like to do the same to you.

Thank you and I hope that if you will agree with me or if you think this is worthwhile, you will pass this on to your fellow journalists/media practitioners for their appropriate action.

unquote:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home